The intention of the Consumer Protection Code is that the consumer is kept up to date in intervals of 20 and that the complaint is resolved within 40 business days.
Please refer to CPC Chapter 10 provision 10.9 c) & d) as follows.
A regulated entity must have in place a written procedure for the proper handling of complaints. This procedure need not apply where the complaint has been resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction within five business days, provided however that a record of this fact is maintained. At a minimum this procedure must provide that:
This procedure is operated by NFP Ireland in relation to its financial services provided under the Consumer Protection Code
- To respond to complaints in a courteous, timely and fair manner.
- To endeavour to address the specific issues raised by our customers and, where appropriate, update our procedures to avoid re-occurrence of problems.
- To endeavour to achieve a situation where our customer feels we have addressed the complaint, but if he/she remains dissatisfied with the outcome of our efforts, to ensure that he/she is notified of the right to refer the matter to the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman.
- NFP Ireland will establish and maintain a complaints file and all complaint records will be kept for six years.
- Where NFP Ireland receives an oral complaint, we will offer the consumer the opportunity to have the complaint treated as a written complaint. NFP Ireland will investigate the complaint on the basis of our understanding of the issue.
- NFP Ireland will acknowledge in writing each complaint within 5 business days of receipt. This acknowledgement will contain a copy of these procedures and notification that the complainant can refer the matter to the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman if he/she is not happy with the outcome of our investigation, or if the matter has not been resolved within 40 business days, the anticipated timeframe within which NFP Ireland hopes to resolve the complaint. Contact details of the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman will also be provided.
- We shall investigate the complaint as swiftly as possible, and, the complainant will receive an update on the complaint at intervals of not greater than 20 days starting from the date on which the complaint is made.
- NFP Ireland will attempt to investigate and resolve the complaint within 40 business days of having received the complaint; where the 40 business days has elapsed and the complaint is not resolved, the complainant will be informed of the anticipated timeframe within which NFP Ireland hopes to resolve the complaint and that the complainant can refer the matter to the Ombudsman and the contact details will be provided.
- Within 5 business days of the conclusion of our investigation of the complaint, NFP Ireland shall send a written report of the outcome of this investigation. This report shall include, an explanation of the terms of any offer that NFP Ireland is prepared to make in settlement of the complaint. We will also inform the complainant of the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman and will provide the consumer with the contact details of the Ombudsman.
- Where it appears to NFP Ireland that the complainant is not satisfied with the outcome of our investigation, and where we feel that we cannot progress the issue further, we will immediately write to the complainant advising them of their right to refer the dispute to the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman.
- A senior manager will review the file before its conclusion, and attempt to identify any procedures that can be implemented by our firm to avoid a repeat of the type of complaint received. Any new procedures will be immediately communicated to all staff and placed in the Written Procedures file.
- The person responsible for complaints in this firm is: Colm Power